pale beneath the blue

Road stories and more from singer/songwriter, pale beneath the blue.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Growth

Drove to Pittsburgh to see the PushStars last night--got lost (that's a shocker) 3 times but finally made it. Club Cafe is a really nice place if you can find it. Awesome show--awesome guys--everyone loves them and rightfully so. They always deliver.

While driving to the club, I was a little tired and was trying to stay awake with the sun beating down on me. I found a shaker egg in my purse that I had picked up from SXSW. I have never been able to actually play the egg or the tambourine (it looks easy, I know, but I'm percussionally challenged.) I was however, in the car for 5 1/2 hours on the way there so after about hour 2 and working on one of my own new tunes, I decided to break out some PushStars, "After the Party" and attempt to play along with my egg.

Thank God I wasn't being filmed for an episode of "Motormouth" --I would have won for sure. Truly, I have never laughed at myself that hard, at least not in a good long while. However, after several songs, I started to get better at it. I just had to figure out how to "feel" the rhythm of the egg. On the way back I played so much that my neck and triceps hurt and I had to switch to my left hand--a little less dangerous when no one else is on the road. And I think I decided that the truck driver that Patrice and I called 1-800-GRAB-DUI on (Canton trip) was maybe actually not trying to get some "satisfaction" after all. Maybe he was just trying to play the harmonica to stay awake.

Oh, and I didn't have to turn around once on the way home. That's real progress.

Other recommeded CDs to play along with:

PushStars--Opening Time
Rhett Miller--The Instigator (probably his Old 97's stuff would work as well)

Drive safely... see you in Troy.
Rhonda

1 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've heard it before that you discover who you are on the road when you realize you're willing to do things that others aren't willing to, so you'll live like others won't. ;)

    For odd thoughts on a purposely slow, recovery day, and review of a fun show ...

    Let's see if this thing puts the web page link up to mio journal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home