pale beneath the blue

Road stories and more from singer/songwriter, pale beneath the blue.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

SXSW Saturday

Jenny showed some guy her boobs so we could crash the trade show (okay, not really, but that's her story).
Played an acoustic set with Patrice and her fabulous 3-stringed cello.
Ate at IHOP. why? yeah, i wish i knew.

Finally, a free night. Should we go see David Garza? Aimee Mann or Swearing at Motorists? Well, the Small Stars were on our radar so we headed to Cedar Street Courtyard. The Small Stars were the most entertaining thing I've seen in a while. Jim Schultz from Sonicbids.com met us there and said it was one of the coolest things he'd seen all week.


Jenny took off but Patrice and I stuck around with our new friend Alex, to witness fellow-Cincinnatians, Blessid Union of Souls. I really didn't expect much since they haven't had a hit in 5 years, (remember "Hey Leonardo"? hint: "she likes me for me...") but I must admit, they put on a killer show. It was the kind of show that most performers dream of--the crowd was singing along, screaming, and couldn't get enough of the guys in "girl pants." I truly wish them the best with their new record and hope that they hit the top of the charts once again.

Jim came back to see the guy closing out the evening...Vanilla Ice. Yes, really. I had heard he was playing metal so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and I didn't really want to pay $10 to get into another venue. I was excited when I saw the DJ equipment heading for the stage. Unfortunately, this was a 14-car pile-up involving a semi, just waiting to happen. He spent a fortune on bottled water only to throw it on unsuspecting audience members. I think things started to really go bad when someone from the audience threw an empty bottle and hit him in the middle of a song. While everyone laughed, it was just sad. My new friend Daniel couldn't take it anymore and left. Patrice and Alex moved to the back. He finally got himself together enough to do "Ice, Ice Baby." That was fun, but I couldn't really see much at the end because he invited a ton of girls onto the stage to dance. There was a film crew filming all of this--his site says that VH1 is taping, the "Remaking of Vanilla Ice." Jen took her camera so we didn't get any pictures. We'll see if we can find some...

Off to sleep for a few hours...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home