pale beneath the blue

Road stories and more from singer/songwriter, pale beneath the blue.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Alternative Fuel

So, I've been saying for a while that folks need to get out of their cars and start using Human Fuel (potato chips, beer, cookies, last week's chicken) to get around on. It's really sad that it has taken gas prices jumping .80 to get folks motivated. However, I'm glad that it's happening. Yesterday, I saw a guy walking home from Luxottica (short hike), a big mob looking guy in his Addidas windsuit and gold chains drinking Gatorade on his bike, some girls walking through the grass in heels to get to Kroger and some teenage kid (imagine this) walking home from school. I live in the suburbs, that stuff doesn't happen around here. Nearly everyone has an SUV or two and only walks when they need exercise. I don't understand why they can't see that if you walk or ride a bike to get places, you don't have to exercise. Oh, the lessons the Europeans could teach us if only we weren't too busy making fun of them and their fries.

FYI, do not try to answer your cell phone on your bike. I saw some guy do this the other day and he ended up in my yard and barely missed a pine tree.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like the deep and not-so deep thoughts.

    now ... you didn't reconize this guy on the bike and call his cell phone yourself and catch it all on film, did you? While, although funny, that would definitely be BAD.

    I went out on the bike 3x last week, and, And, AND I actually used a push (non-engine-ized) mower to cut my grass Sunday. It's a small lot, about the twice the size of your driveway MAYBE. I picked it up for like $8 at a yard sale years ago, and finally got around to wire wheeling the rust off the blades and running (ruining?) a blade sharpener handle-thing down the blades. Took more effort in passes and time, but it was pleasingly quiet, and I got a small workout from it.

    Retro-ly,
    Ray

     

Post a Comment

<< Home