pale beneath the blue

Road stories and more from singer/songwriter, pale beneath the blue.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Who knew that high amounts of Glade Plug-in was toxic?

Well, I certainly didn't know until I was overexposed. It started last week when I found a Glade Plug-in in the office at one of the model homes. It smelled like Bath and Body Works, Juniper Breeze. It's a small area, so anything is overwhelming. I immediately unplugged it and opened the door. But my nose started running so, 10 minutes later, I put it outside. I explained to my boss that I was quite sensitive to smells and he seemed to understand and said we could look at doing something else to take care of an odor he felt was present.

Yesterday, when I opened the door to the model, I was overtaken by fake Apple/Cinnamon smell. As soon as I found the plug-in, I again put it outside and cracked the door to air out the house. I had been at work for 5 minutes and my eyes were watering. When I went back in yesterday evening to use the restroom, someone had plugged the thing back in and closed the door. My nose started running, my throat started to burn and my sinus cavities burned and ached. I immediately put the thing back outside, but couldn't air out the house because it was nearly time to close. I woke up with one side of my nose feeling swollen.

When I went in today, I was again overcome by the stinging cinnamon and my eyes began to water and my throat and nose started to swell immediately. I left the front door open and went to open the back door too, but it was already too late. My throat was burning, my nose was running--I would have thought it was a cold except it cleared up when I went outside or out to the office (garage). The problem with an allergy is that it continues to get worse upon each exposure. Now I'm afraid to go in the house to use the restroom. It's only 2:30 and I'm here until 7p. Hmmm, I wonder how that's going to work.

I was searching on the internet to see if I was the only one to have this reaction and found:
iVillage: http://health.ivillage.com/prevention/0,,bw_7kq3j8m1-1,00.html
http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=370

Apparently, Glade plug-ins have been known to cause fires and there was a recall a while back if you missed it. But they've been found to cause allergic reactions of all forms in babies, cats, dogs and all kinds of folks. The question becomes, do you really know what you're breathing?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home