pale beneath the blue

Road stories and more from singer/songwriter, pale beneath the blue.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Sightseeing in NYC

I've been in NY a little over 3 weeks and I'm just now getting around to seeing the sights. I've been walking until I can barely move. I finally got to see Central Park. It's so strange to be here and see things that I've been seeing for years in movies. It reminds me how much I love film and am seriously considering working on doing some short films in the near future. From Central Park we headed to Midtown where we had to walk five blocks from Rockafeller Center to a Barnes and Noble to get to a restroom. (See previous postings) Dinner was in Little Italy--it was okay, but hardly Carraba's. The evening finished at the Empire State Building--$16 per person, thank you. It's gorgeous, but so crowded. There's virtually no way to have a conversation with someone while up on the observation deck. It is beautiful and highly recommended if you've never seen it at night.

Today we walked around the sight of the World Trade Center. I'd never seen it standing, just in movies and on tv during 9/11 attacks. It was really hard to be there. Maybe because I've been through so much myself but I was fighting back the tears as soon as I saw the timeline of events. It all comes back and it's been almost 5 years. From there, we headed down Wall St. and then onto Battery Park to see if we wanted to head to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island but everything was closed already. For a "city that never sleeps" stuff sure closes early. Next we headed to Soho for a quick shopping trip and then stopped at Times Square on the way back to Allison's to watch 24 and Grey's Anatomy. I should have been in bed hours ago since I'm heading home tomorrow, but I stopped at one of a thousand Starbucks in Soho and now I'm wide awake.

Okay, that's enough about me, what have you guys been up to?
Rhonda

1 Comments:

  • At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just got back from California.

    I went up the World Trade Center when I was 12 or 13... one of the buildings had an open air roof where you could go outside. I remember that it was really high up. Really.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home